The Dawleys

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Ella is One!!

It's hard to believe that my sweet little girl is ONE! We had a wonderful weekend celebrating with family. Ella is so blessed to have so many great people in her life. And Dave and I are blessed to be the parents to such a sweet and spirited little girl. Ella has changed so much in her first year. Dave and I have changed so much as well though. Who knew that this sweet little girl could change us in ways we never thought possible? This past year has been amazing and I look forward to this second year in Ella's life!



Ella's birthday party was butterfly-themed since she has always seemed to be drawn to all things butterfly. We had butterflies everywhere, from the blinds, to the ceiling fan, countertop, and even the cupcakes. She loved pointing them out and oohing over them. For food, we had a little Mexican buffet since Ella loves beans! It was also a great way to make sure that everyone had something to eat that they liked. The cake was something that I tested for many weeks. I wanted the perfect cake for her birthday (not to mention I had an excuse to bake and eat a lot of cupcakes). I wasn't completely happy with any of the recipes I tried, so I modified one and created my own. They turned out amazing if I do say so myself!:)



Vegan Orange Cream Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting

Cake Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup orange juice
2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners. Mix the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate large bowl, mix together the canola oil, sugar, orange juice, and vanilla extract. Sift in the flour mixture and mix until no lumps remain. Fill cupcake liners and bake for 20-22 minutes until done. Transfer to cooling rack. Once cooled frost with buttercream frosting.

Vegan Buttercream Frosting Ingredients:
1/2 cup shortening (I prefer Earth Balance)
1/2 cup margarine (again I prefer Earth Balance)
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup soy or almond milk

Beat together shortening and margarine until fluffy. Gradually add the sugar and beat for 3 minutes. Add the vanilla extract and milk and beat for 3 more minutes.

1 comments:

Rae said...

butterflies are such a special symbol of life and transformation - gorgeous pics and happy Birthday to you all!

Mrs Green @littlegreenblog.com

Post a Comment